The purpose of the Nails Specialty Program is to prepare students for employment as a licensed Manicurist and Pedicurist. Instruction is designed to qualify students to successfully obtain a Nails Specialty Certification.
This program focuses on the following elements of the of communications, leadership, human relations, employability skills, safe and efficient work practices, Florida cosmetology law and rules, acquisition of knowledge of the nail specialist and the related chemistry; bacteriology, anatomy, and physiology; and development of skill in performing the manipulative and electrical techniques required in the practice of nails specialist occupations.
INSTRUCTION CONSISTS OF
Manicurists and Pedicurists
Standard Occupational Classification (SOC)
Occupational Completion Points (OCPs)
Laboratory activities are an integral part of this program. These activities include instruction in the use of safety procedures, tools, equipment, materials, and processes related to these occupations. Equipment and supplies are provided to enhance hands-on experiences for students.
- Interview with a counselor
- Be at least 16 years old and officially withdrawn from high school
This program operates on an open-entry/open- exit basis. Students may enter the program anytime during the school year.
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
DAY/TIME PROGRAM OFFERED
Mon. - Thurs. 9:00 A.M.- 2:15 P.M.
Mon. - Thurs. 4:45 P.M. - 10:00 P.M.
Sat/Sun 8:00 A.M.– 3:30 P.M.
BASIC SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
Students are exempt from the basic skills requirements for courses of 450 clock hours of instruction or less.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENT
Basic computer skills
- Completion of all Occupational Completion Points (OCP’s)
- No financial obligations
- Completion of Exit Package to receive a program certificate
- Employers require applicants to complete a state approved esthetician program.
- Obtain required license for employment.
According to the 2020 Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay of a nail’s specialist was $29,210 per year or $14.05 per hour.
DOCUMENTS, PUBLICATIONS, & MULTI-MEDIA
- Florida Department of Education Curriculum Framework (PDF)
- Gainful Employment Disclosure (WEB)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (WEB)
- Brochure – English (PDF)
- Folleto – Español (PDF)
- Video (MP4)