The Learning Center (TLC) Online at The English Center provides Adult Basic Education (ABE), General Education Development (GED) Preparation, Citizenship Preparation, Applied Academics for Adult Education (AAAE), and online English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes to adults via distance learning by crossing traditional geographic boundaries through the use of evolving Internet and computer-based technology throughout Miami-Dade County and the State of Florida.
TLC Online currently has hundreds of students. We deliver curriculum content to students using the following online courseware: GED Academy, TABE Academy, Burlington English, and a Citizenship Preparation course via Moodle.
TLC Online’s curriculum is delivered through a combination of third-party online courseware (web-based) and through courses and supplemental lessons created by the instructors.
- TLC Online provides Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes in Reading, Math, and Language.
- TLC Online offers General Education Development (GED®) preparation classes, which help students study for all four of the GED® subject area tests. Students earn their Florida High School Diploma GED® by passing the four GED® subject area tests.
- TLC Online offers online ESOL classes: Low Beginning, High Beginning, Low Intermediate, High Intermediate, and Advanced.
- TLC Online offers Applied Academics for Adult Education (AAAE) which provides remedial skills based upon the assessed needs of the individual and the academic and employability requirements related to Florida’s Career and Adult Education programs.
- TLC Online assigns a teacher to each student. The teacher and the student communicate through email, telephone calls, and face-to-face meetings.
- Students need to be self-motivated, disciplined, and able to learn through using interactive software with teacher assistance.
- Students save time, money, and transportation costs by taking online classes.
- Students can study at their own pace and on their own time schedule (24 hours a day, 7 days a week), as long as they work a minimum of 6 hours each week per class.
- Online instructors answer student questions, monitor student progress and activity, and help to motivate students to achieve their educational goals.
- Online students must come to the school to register for their online classes. Part of that registration process is to take a TABE or CASAS test to assess the student’s academic level or English level. Each student is also required to post-test at the end of each semester.
Online Third-Party Courseware:
- GED Academy
- TABE Academy
- Burlington English
Description of Classes
Adult Basic Education (ABE) Online
The purpose of TLC’s online ABE courses is to provide basic literacy and life skills for adults who are performing at or below the level. The content includes reading, language arts/writing, and mathematics. Students are tested and placed in each class according to their needs. Students receive supplemental lessons and Internet resources via e-mail to enhance and customize the students learning experiences.
Students are able to access courses 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Each student is assigned a teacher who guides, instructs, monitors, and is available as a resource for specified hours during the week.
General Education Development Preparation (GED®) Online
The General Education Development (GED) preparation classes offered online at The English Center are individualized and self-paced. The classes include the four content areas of the GED® Preparation Program: Reasoning Through Language Arts, Mathematical Reasoning, Science, and Social Studies. TLC Online offers the Official GED® Practice Test GED® Ready to all GED students. Online teachers analyze the prescriptive results and offer remedial help to students who need and/or request it.
Students are able to access courses 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Each student is assigned a teacher who guides, instructs, monitors, motivates, and is available as a resource for specified hours during the week. Students receive supplemental lessons and internet resources via e-mail to enhance and customize the students learning experiences.
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Online
Students my take the following ESOL classes utilizing the Burlington English courseware: Low Beginning, High Beginning, Low Intermediate, High Intermediate, and Advanced.
Applied Academics For Adult Education (AAAE) Online
The purpose of this program is to prepare students for academic, technical, and personal success. The Applied Academics for Adult Education (AAAE) program is based on the assessed needs of the individual and the academic and employability requirements related to Florida’s Career and Adult Education programs. There have been changes to requirements concerning basic skills remediation for students in career and technical programs. It provides:
- Career assessment designed to assist persons in identifying work interests, temperament, aptitudes and learning styles.
- Individualized basic-skills-related instruction to educationally disadvantaged students (including limited English proficient individuals) whose basic skills deficiencies may prevent success in a CTE program or prevent completion of licensure for the CTE program of their choice.
- Employability behavior instruction for job acquisition and job retention. Students are able to access courses 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Each student is assigned a teacher who guides, instructs, monitors, motivates, and is available as a resource for specified hours during the week.
Classes and Program Information
For classes and program information, please contact the TLC Online Department Coordinator.