The purpose of the Cosmetology Program is to prepare students for employment in the field of Cosmetology. The program provides theory and skills needed to advance in the field of hair care, nail technology, skin care, and make up application. Instruction is designed to prepare students to pass a state examination and obtain a cosmetology license.
This program focuses on the following elements of the cosmetology industry; planning, management, finance, technical and production skills, underlying technological principles, labor, community, health, safety, and environmental issues.
INSTRUCTION CONSISTS OF
|Grooming and Salon Services Core, Facials and Nails
|Cosmetology and Hairdresser 1
|Cosmetology and Hairdresser 2
|Cosmetology and Hairdresser 3
Standard Occupational Classification (SOC)
Occupational Completion Points (OCPs)
Laboratory activities are an integral part of this program. These activities provide instruction in communication, leadership, human relations and employability skills; safe and efficient work practices; Florida cosmetology law and rules; acquisition of knowledge of the cosmetology/nails specialist/facial specialist and the related chemistry; 2 bacteriology, anatomy and physiology; art of make-up; and development of skill in performing the manipulative and electrical techniques required in the practice of cosmetology/nails specialist and facials specialist
- Interview with a counselor
- Be at least 16 years old and officially withdrawn from high school
- Take Basic Skills test within six weeks of entering the program
This program operates on an open-entry/open- exit basis. Students may enter the program anytime during the school year.
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
DAY/TIME PROGRAM OFFERED
Mon. - Fri. 8:30 AM - 3:15 PM
Mon. - Thurs. 3:45 PM - 10:00 PM
Fri. 8:30 AM - 3:15 PM
BASIC SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
The minimum basic skills grade levels required for adult career/technical education students to complete this program are the following:
Mathematics 8 | Language 8 | Reading 9
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENT
Basic computer skills
- Employers require applicants to complete a state approved 1,200-hour cosmetology program.
- Pass the State Cosmetology License Exam.
- Complete a 4-hour HIV/AIDS training course.
- Take Basic Skills test within six weeks of entering the program.
Hairstylist, Cosmetologist, and a range of beauty services.
According to the 2020 Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay of a cosmetologist was $27,630 per year or $13.28 per hour.
- ARCHITECTURE AND CONSTRUCTION
- Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning/Refrigeration (HVAC/R) 1
- ART, A/V TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATION
- Digital Design 1
- Digital Design 2
- EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Child Care Center Operations
- Early Childhood Education