Admission and Transfer Policies
Any person 16 years of age or older, officially withdrawn from the K-12 program in Miami-Dade County Public Schools, may enroll in programs offered through TEC. As one of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools, The English Center adheres to a policy of non-discrimination and strives affirmatively to provide equal opportunity to all potential and current students.
Career/technical education (CTE) students who wish to enter programs of 450 clock hours of instruction or more must complete a basic skills examination within the first six (6) calendar weeks after admission into the program. The following exemptions from meeting basic skills testing requirements apply:
1) Students who possess a college degree at the associate of applied science level or higher;
2) Students who entered 9th grade in a Florida public school in the 2003-2004 school year, or any year thereafter, and earned a Florida standard high school diploma;
3) Students who are serving as active-duty members of any branch of the United States Armed Services shall not be required to take the usual placement test and shall not be required to enroll in developmental education;
4) Students who pass a state or national industry certification or licensure examination as delineated in the Basic Skills Licensure Exemption List found at www.fldoe.org, and aligned to the career/technical education program in which the student is enrolled;
5) Adult students enrolled in an apprenticeship program that is registered with the Florida Department of Education in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 446.
6) Students with disabilities may request testing accommodations, if they provide written documentation verifying their disability or may be exempted from meeting the basic skills requirements.
Prospective students are required to be interviewed by a counselor. CTE students pay a $15.00 application fee each trimester (with the exception of tuition exempt students) and a $5.00 student ID fee, plus any tuition fees. Certain post-secondary programs have additional admissions requirements. Refer to program requirements. Students enrolling in Adult General Education programs are required pay a $5.00 non-refundable testing fee in order to take prior a basic skills test for placement, prior to registration, which will determine the appropriate level of study.
Students may transfer from one program to another program within the institution or from other institutions by obtaining the recommendation of counselors and instructors.